Thursday 17 May 2012

The Driverless Car

 
Nevada has the distinction of becoming the first state to issue a license for a driverless car, and the lucky recipient is Google. So the next time the car in front of you is making you positively nuts there may not be anyone there to give the middle finger salute, and honking the horn will fall on deaf ears (or no ears at all for that matter.)
These automated cars use video cameras, proximity sensors, GPS and a laser assisted range finder in order to ‘see’ other traffic, as well as detailed maps that allow these phantom vehicles to navigate the open road. At the present time Google has a fleet of 8 vehicles including an Audi, a Lexus and several Toyota Priuses, (or should that be Prium?), and where the heck are they going anyway?

So how would you happen to know if you just got cut off by a driverless car? Simply take a break from the swearing and check the license plates, the ones on the driverless cars are red and have the infinity symbol on the left hand side that is meant to represent “the future.”

I’d like to say that this new technology makes me feel a bit uneasy, but driving already makes me feel like I’m taking my life in my hands, so is a car driven by technology apt to be more, or less safe than cars driven by humans? What do you guys think? I’m thinking I’d rather take my chances with the tech….

No comments:

Post a Comment